Sunday, 17 February 2013

Chapter 3


Mamaaaaaaaa.....!!!!” khushi screamed as soon as she got out of her car that had stopped in front of her house...'Aradahana'....her great-grandfather had named it after his wife, who according to him she was his lucky charm...her grandfather had made many more modifications, turning the modest bungalow into a huge mansion.

Khushi used to be mesmerized whenever her grandmother used to narrate stories about her very romantic great-grandparents...and she always believed in true love and fairytales hearing them, their magic weaving into her dreamland...but then, it all changed.

Khushi!” Garima said loudly as she held her arms open for her daughter..her eyes turned moist as she hugged her daughter tightly...trying to make up for all those missed hugs from the past few years.

She pulled back after a while as khushi's other relatives tumbled out of the house along with the old servants...all eager to welcome their darling daughter back.

Mamma...its so wonderful to see you...I missed you soo much” khushi said as she wiped her mother's eyes and gave her a huge smacking kiss on her cheek 

“I know baby...i missed you too...only i know how much...” she sighed as she tucked khushi's sleek hair behind her ears.

Khushi looked at her aunt and uncle coming towards them with huge smiles “Maasi!!” she screamed as her aunt came and hugged her followed by her uncle 

“What Sanjay uncle...you've lost soo much weight...but your'e as handsome as ever!” she said as she winked at him

Oh ho Khushi....now that you've come, you can feed me better...the other women of this house don't care about me so much!” he said as his wife jabbed him in the chest.

You better keep quite...its not even been a few minutes since khushi's come back that you've already started your complaint box!” her aunt said as she pulled khushi's cheek 

“Maasi...please don't pull my cheeks...i'm not a two year old anymore” khushi said as everyone laughed.

Darling...you may be 50 years old, but for us you'll always be our chulbuli..” her maasi said as all started walking inside the house.

“Maasi...please don't call me chulbuli...if anyone comes to know that i was ever called that!...” she said as she shuddered while her mother laughed.

Don't worry we wont...tripti she's not a baby anymore...in fact, when I was around her age, she was already 10!...” she said as everyone suddenly quietend down....khushi pursed her lips as bitter memories savaged her mind.. 

“Ma...lets not talk about it ok..” khushi said quietly as all three adults nodded and walked inside the house.

...........................

Arnav” his grandfather's voice boomed across the vast hall as arnav was walking down the grand stairs adjusting his cufflinks.

He looked down and smiled at the elderly man who was reading a file waiting for arnav to join him “Yes dadu..you needed anything?” he asked him as he came and stood in front of him 

“Yes, did you go through the press release?” he asked him to which arnav nodded.

“I did...everything seems fine...they have mine and Mrs Gupta's quote, and the article was okayed by both our boards, so all seems ok” he said as his grandfather closed the file and looked at him

Hmm..yes, but they should have taken a quote from Khushi directly...i think it would have been better” he said as arnav rolled his eyes.

I did notice that, but looks like Ms Gupta probably did not have the time to spare...just like she hasn't since the time this deal was in the talks...” he said with an exasperated look while his grandfather looked on thoughtfully

Tell me one thing dadu...why is she not involved in all the nitty-gritty's of this venture like I am? I mean..she will be heading this damn company from their side...the least she could do is show some respect by being involved” he said as he took out his phone to dial a number “bloody princess!” he muttered as his grandfather gave him a sour look.

Arnav...i don't think it's fair to assume things...as far as I know, she was really not in favor of this...but was convinced by her grandmother...and since she was not present in india, it only made sense for the people here to handle it...and don't go pinpointing at other's when you yourself haven't been very proactive for this...” he said as arnav threw him a 'whatever' look

That girl is very capable...I know what you think about her since you are so vocal about it, but trust me when i say that she is the right candidate alongside you...I can see both of you taking this company to new heights” he said with a proud air as arnav sighed.

Dadu...lets just drop it ok...both of us will never agree on this...I'm meeting Ms Gupta tomorrow before the press-con anyways...just to make sure that she does not make a complete fool of herself in front of the entire media” he said as his grandfather shook his head

I really don't know how you will work alongside her with this attitude of yours...just give her a chance to prove herself...I mean you have not even met her yet...so stop assuming things about her...if you were a good businessman, you would have known by now how much that girl has achieved” he said as arnav shrugged.

I know her company has achieved a lot internationally...and all of it is commendable, but i'm sure she is not the only person to be credited for that...what gets printed in newspapers and magazines is all crap...girls like her...I mean, those born with silver spoons in their mouth...rarely fit the bill for those who work hard...she's probably more interested in which nail-color to apply with which dress” he said as his grandfather's irritation increased.

Don't generalize every rich girl with your girlfriend Arnav” he said to him in a tight voice which had arnav thinking that he might have crossed a line with his grandfather.

He sighed as he turned towards him and held his aging shoulders “I'm not doing that dadu..but trust me, i know people like her...and I also know that you don't like Sheetal...so I get it that you would think..” he started saying as his grandfather held up his right palm

That's enough Arnav...i don't hate Sheetal..I just don't think she's the right life parter for you” he said as arnav grimaced 

“Dadu seriously...what makes you think that I will ever marry Sheetal?!” he said as his grandfather sighed loudly

Well you have to marry someone...if you go on wasting your youth on girls you don't want to marry...I might just have to find you a girl myself!” he said as arnav rolled his eyes

Yeah right...as if! I'll get married when i find the right girl dadu...Sheetal and me are simply dating...she's doing it for fun and fame and I'm doing it for some company..” he said as he straightened his coat

Speaking of which...” he said as he glanced at his Jaeger LeCoultre watch “I need to get going...have to get back early tonight...don't wanna be late for my breakfast meeting tomorrow...i'll be damned if she reaches before me...” he said, as an afterthought struck him

As if she will...she'll probably be jet-lagged and miss it anyways...just hope she reaches the press-con in time” he said with a smirk as he left for his dinner leaving his amused grandfather behind.

...........................

Khushi beta” an elegant voice came from the first floor banister towards the assembled people sitting in the living room. 

Khushi looked up suddenly as her lips widened in a huge smile “Naani...!!” she squealed as she got up and ran up the stairs

She came to a halt right in front of the tussar silk clad, classically beautiful woman, the one woman whom she constantly met throughout her years in LA...her friend, her confidante, her idol...her grandmother.. “Oh naani..its soo good to be back home with you all!” she said as she quickly hugged her

I know beta...its good to have you back...the house was missing its soul...now, its back” she said as khushi held her hand 

“How have you been naani? I hope you are taking all your medicines on time..and when was the last time you did your full body check-up?” she asked as her grandmother smiled gently while holding her face in her palms.

I'm fine beta...and I'm feeling very young now that you are back..I was waiting for you to come and take over from me...as it is, I have been doing this since a really long time...its time i rest now hmm?” she said as her eyes twinkled

I know naani...and trust me, I'll do my best to stand up to all your expectations...” she said as her grandmother kissed her on her forehead.

She was just about to say something when her mother interrupted them “Well...i hope you both haven't started talking about work now..” she said as khushi linked her arm through both her favorite ladies arms

Mamma...work comes first!” she said as her grandmother laughed; she looked at her mother's tensed face and stopped to turn towards her “What happened mamma? You seem stressed...” she said as Garima shook her head

Oh...its nothing...I mean...it's just that...your father...he..he called just now to say that he won't be able to come and meet you today...he will come directly at the press conference tomorrow...” she said as khushi nodded stiffly.

I really don't care if he meets me ever mamma...the day he left you was the day he stopped being my father...” she said in a cold voice.

Garima paled under the hatred she saw in her child's eyes...no one should hate their parent like this... "Khushi...please darling...” she started saying as Khushi left them and ran back down.

...........................

Oh God baby...this wine is sooo bad! I feel like gagging” sheetal whined as arnav gave an uninterested look at her wineglass.

This was the worst dinner party he had been to...if it wasn't of an influential politician, he would have never come...but he knew that appearances were necessary.

Sheetal...why do you drink wine if you don't like it..” he said as she pouted at him “Oh come on baby...you know its looks sophisticated to drink wine...i mean, if it was up to me...i would have peach schnapps...but that will make me look like a total bimbo!” she said as she adjusted her thigh length sequined dress

Arnav sighed as he whipped out his phone and texted Lavanya 'Please send me the proposal for the new french deal we are working on...might as well go through it...party sucks!'

He waited for a few seconds before he got a quick reply 'Ok...done...ps: is she again complaining about wine?' he smiled at the text before responding to it 'you bet...gn'

He waited a few more minutes as Sheetal went to socialize with some of her friends when his iPhone buzzed with an incoming mail...he sighed in relief as the pdf of the proposal loaded.

Finally he had an excuse to avoid talking to unwanted people and he would have saved the time spent on reading this tomorrow.

...........................

Khushi...go to sleep now beta..” Garima said as she found her daughter reading some file “Uh yeah ma...i just need to go over this one last time...there shouldn't be any mistakes form my side for tomorrow...after all I wouldn't want Gupta Mills face any embarrassment in front of those Raizada's...” she said as her eyes scanned the documents.

Garima smiled as she went and sat down next to her daughter, she lovingly ran hand through her long hair and turned her face towards herself “Khushi...don't stress so much...I have met Arnav, he's a very bright young man...I'm sure you both will work wonderfully together...” she said as khushi's eyes clouded

I am not worried about working with him mamma...and I don't care how bright and wonderful he is...I just don't want myself to fall short of anything...I don't want to give him a chance to mock me or act superior in front of me” she said as Garima shook her head

Khushi...don't get so defensive...I may not know that much about our business, but i do understand human beings...and he is a genuinely good person, just like the rest of his family...beta, we have known the Raizada's since a really long time..though after Arnav's parents death, we did not keep much in touch...” she said as a sad smile adorned her face

I am glad that we get to work with them now...you haven't met any of them...but have you met Arnav?” she asked as khushi shifted in her seat...how was she going to tell her mother that she had met him once...7 years ago...

Club Arzona
13th May 2006

Khushi! Lets go...c'mon...” ashmita her friend whispered as she giggled while pulling her inside the dark club...she looked around with big eyes as she saw the inside of a disco for the first time in her life....she could literally feel the music vibrate through the floor into her body...

Ami...I'm worried...” she said as her friend held her hand “Khushi...stop being a wuss...we are 18! its not like we can't come to a club...c'mon, the rest of the gang will be waiting for us” she said as khushi adjusted her short black dress...it wasn't that she didn't like the club...but she was worried since she had lied to her mom and grandmother for the first time that she was staying at a friends house..

Ooh...look! Its that fashion guy...you know the one with that cool new label? Oh my god...he is soooo hot!” she squealed as they joined the rest of the gang....all of whom were drooling over the cute guy “What's so great about him...” she said to which all the girls gasped

Khushi! He is ASR! The owner of Raizada & Sons...his label 'Vogue' is the top most brand today...how can you not know this?!” one of her other friends said as khushi shrugged her shoulders...how was she to explain to them that she has met bigger designers than him...

She excused herself to go and get a drink with Ashmita... “Babe look...they have Apple sourz!” her friend said in excitement as khushi smiled at her...they ordered shots for everyone and waited as the bartender filled up the glasses...khushi was just about to turn with four glasses in her hands when she felt someones hand on her bare thigh...

The glasses fell from her hand as she looked to her side to see a guy seated at the bar, caressing her leg, she pushed off his hand and stepped back to bump into another one who held her tightly by her arms “Ooh...whats the hurry babe? Wanna try with both of us?” the second guy leered as the first guy got up as well

Khushi looked around fearfully as ashmita ran to get the rest of her friends to help out...khushi felt her eyes fill up as she shrugged herself off the second guy's hands when she heard a deep voice behind her “Are these guys troubling you miss?” she turned back swiftly to look directly into deep caramel eyes...she felt her throat choke up as she nodded...it was him....ASR

She looked on as he calmly told both the guys to get out of the club...when they did not co-operate he signaled the bouncers, who came and took care of the situation...she watched in awe as the bouncers carried them by the collar and threw them out the door...she sighed in relief as she smiled and turned towards him to thank him when his words left her cold

You bought it on yourself...next time, if you can't handle it...don't wear such clothes” he said harshly before leaving a shocked and hurt khushi behind...

Khushi..what happened? Hello!” she came out of her haze as she felt her mother shake her 

“Huh? oh...sorry mamma...I...I was just...n...no I never met him” she said sighing to which Garima smiled 

“Well, you will tomorrow...now come on go to sleep...its a very important day tomorrow..” she said as khushi nodded and got up.

She kept the file on the table and kissed her mother a good night before walking to her room...she knew she would hardly get any sleep...but she had to be prepared for tomorrow...she'll be damned if she gave that arrogant presumptuous man any chance to...to...arrgh! Whatever!

27 comments:

  1. I m out of my paitience now.....about there meeting offcourse can't wait anymore...awesome part

    ReplyDelete
  2. ollla good good what are starting

    lets see what sheetal will do in the next chapters

    and kushi no they did not meet each other lets see what will happen to both of them if he can rember her so waitng

    If gilmore

    ReplyDelete
  3. My God! Am I the first one to comment? Great!
    Loved the update. So khushi has met Arnav before. But he didn't know who she was then. So now he will be his usual arrogant self with her thinking that she has no brains and spends her time in nightclubs. Their meeting will be interesting.
    Khushi's father has left them and gone. This is why she doesn't believe in love? So many questions. Waiting for the next update.
    Love all your work but this story appears to be really different and promises to be your best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice update...
    loved both their families...
    eagerly waiting for their meeting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet again waiting for actual meet ! :(
    But leaving that bit, fab update , i wonder if ASR will recognise her ???

    ReplyDelete
  6. wolf whistles!!!!

    like seriously Aar! this is so much fun!! but tomorrow is not so tomorrow coming :P is chapter four the face off or chapter five??

    and the bond she shares with family is sweet but whats with the age?? there's some mystery there?and she hates her dad!! i think this will play a lot!!

    and he hates her so much?? im sure the love when it happens oso will be with the same intensity or perhaps even more!
    sheetal ayyo those parasites!! and la n arnav share a nice rapport! sweet to read!

    so thats why she thought of those caramel eyes!! hmm....what do u call such a guy helps you when needed but after helping you drops you from a height that its like reality check!!

    how are they gonna react when they see each other??

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chapter 4 will def have the face-off :) i can't dangle it anymore...otherwise you will all eat me alive! Lol

      As for their ages...Khushi is 25...she was 18 when she met Arnav...and Arnav is 30 in the present time...hope that clears the confusion :P
      Tho if you meant Garima's age....then in that case, Garima was 18 when she married Khushi's dad...when she says 'Khushi's age...' she means in her 20's....so she was around 28 when Khushi was age 10....you'll know more as the story progresses :)

      Delete
  7. Hahahahaha I see they have met before. So Arnav doesn't remember her but she remembers him and LOL both think of each other the same thing. *Sigh* all love stories start like that. This work is way different from your other work and I like it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! so they kinda have a past..cool. wonder if arnav remembers her too. cant wait for their first meeting. m sure its gonna rock. honestly i hope khushi takes a lead at this meeting, given that arnav has been badmouthing her without even knowing her. i din like that

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very interesting update, Arti!!

    Khushi's homecoming welcome,the warmth she exudes,her love and hero worshipping her Naani...was so endearing..she detests her father for having caused anguish to her Mom, and, Garima feels she should not harbor any hatred..it is convoluted..
    Arnav's Daadu is sagacious...I love him, already..I was grinning reading that text from La...she is proficien,and blessed with a sense of humor...
    That unusual encounter between A&K came as a pleasant surprise... will he remember her??
    The two are like peas of the a pod....reading the file beforehand,to keep abreast of the things..
    The pace of the story is just right .....Eagerly awaiting the breakfast meeting..

    Aanchal15_IF

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow....that was amazing...so ASR helped khushi but was downright arrogant...hmm would love to see their encounter...will it be the same...will ASR remember khushi too...
    he doesnt love sheetal, its just a matter of convenience...
    khushis family..wow they are lovely...this arrangement of khushi and ASR does that have deeper meaning as well...
    but this was one lovely chapter...next is their meeting...would be waiting..
    love,
    yush

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, counting minutes to the meeting......

    wonder if he would remember her .....

    ReplyDelete
  12. So both of them have met before. Wonder if Arnav remembers her

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey awesome update
    really arnav is underestimating khushi
    he is thinking that khushi is a spoiled brat
    don't worry you will see lady ASR
    hmmmmmmmm
    khushi met him 7 years before
    meeting in the past have made us like this
    then how will be the present meeting
    plz make them meet in the next update
    waiting eagerly for the next update
    update soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved d update
    Looking forward for more

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome update.
    So they hav met before. Hope he wil remember her. Waiting 4 their meeting. Hope khushi wil prove him wrong on his judgements

    ReplyDelete
  16. what madam why did u stop there ?again waiting for the long meeting....each and every updates are mind blowing gr8 work..

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice update
    everyone loves khushi so much
    i love this khushi a lot
    she met arnav already
    i want khushi to prove herself best
    arnav is so rude
    i wish khushi will make him stunn by her brilliance

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice update..Bonding between family great..
    Khushi & Arnav have met before too..
    Khushi doesn't want to look stupid in front of him and he thinks she'll be late and well in-competitive too..
    Now waiting for their meeting :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my god. .chapter 4.....n we r still waiting for the. Pre con meet.

    I m seriously running out if patients but the build up was brilliant.

    So khushi meet him once n. Knows. ..n we have to c if recognition dawn upon the mighty ASR

    I love the name given yo khushi by ASR. *bloody princess* lolz.

    Sizzlingggggg n WAITING. Pls cont soon.

    Avni

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the story. have read all your stories till date on your blog. love them all. you are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Arti! :)
    Well Im a new reader here after so many people recommended me to read your work. I started yesterday morning and believe it or not - I have completed all your FFs.. Including your single OS! Haha, when I find good stories, the reader in me becomes mighty desperate! ;)
    Needless to say - I loved each and every FF of yours, my favorite being 'when I met you'. I completely enjoyed your style of writing, it has an instant connect with every reader! :)
    And then came strings of illusion - and the first 3 chapters have me hooked. I love the Khushi and Arnav here. Anf Im.waiting for their epic meeting.
    Update soon. :*

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK. So Khushi has met him and he managed to make her hate him - bodes well. Arnav has his fixed opinion of Khushi..which is she is a bimbo.

    I am sure sparks will fly!!

    Bim
    Moomin4455 on IF

    ReplyDelete
  23. so khushi met him before........
    so jump on nxt its profit to read 4 chapters read in a day
    precious-pie(if)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cheval

    Haha time to meet asr kushi ahahah n asr hmmmm u will definitely bevome the spoilt brat when u ll see her

    ReplyDelete
  25. O.K so this time around it is khushi who was Daddy issues..........guess this will play a huge role in her future relationship with arnav. Can't wait for their explosive face off.
    Loved both their families......
    Guess khushi will shock arnav to the core.............
    Have a huge grin on my face as i am reading these updates.

    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  26. So Khushi met Arnav b4 n he make a good impression. Can't wait til dey meet.

    ReplyDelete